Clean energy industries employ more than 3 million U.S. workers in well-paying middle-class jobs. This data comes from the Department of Energy’s annual U.S. Energy and Employment report and is the focus of a social media campaign today (February 22) designed to focus national attention on this U.S. jobs success story. At Tier One, we’re always looking to help innovators in energy technology promote new ideas and solutions for a better future, so we’re excited to support this important campaign.
The data related to clean energy jobs is certainly compelling:
- 2.2 million workers help to make buildings more energy efficient, saving money for families and businesses.
- More than 600,000 workers are involved with clean power generation, including wind, solar, nuclear, and natural gas.
- There are 100,000 workers in advanced grid technologies, including energy storage, and 100,000 workers in biofuels.
- The advanced transportation industry, including hybrid, electric, and fuel cell vehicles, supports 200,000 more jobs.
What is more compelling, however, is how quickly clean energy jobs are growing compared to, say, coal. Fast Company's Co.Exist recently reported on the Solar Foundation’s 2016 National Solar Jobs Census and the headline says it all: “Solar now provides twice as many jobs as the coal industry.” Other highlights from this census report include:
- One out of every 50 new jobs added in the United States in 2016 was created by the solar industry, representing 2% percent of all new jobs.
- Solar jobs in the United States have increased at least 20 percent per year for the past four years, and jobs have nearly tripled since the first Solar Jobs Census was released in 2010.
- Over the next 12 months, employers surveyed expect to see total solar industry employment increase by 10 percent to 286,335 solar workers.
The evidence suggests that clean energy industries will continue to play an important role in American job growth, and Tier One Partners is proud to support this #CleanEnergyJobs campaign. If you believe clean energy jobs are the future, help raise awareness of these facts. Together we will raise the profile of the clean energy economy (and jobs!) in the national discourse.